Baby born in NMMC-West Point parking lot

Parents DeQuan Givens and Jaquerra Warren with baby DeKarri Givens. DeKarri Givens is doing well after being born in the North Mississippi Medical Center - West Point parking lot.
Staff Writer

Parents never forget the birth of their child. But there are many people who will never forget the arrival of little DeKarri Givens.

Jaquerra Warren and DeQuan Givens of Starkville were anticipating the arrival of DeKarris around his due date of April 10. But Karri, as his parents call him, had other plans.

Warren woke up around 4 a.m. Friday, Feb. 9, with what she thought were bladder spasms caused by a urinary tract infection she had been diagnosed with earlier in the week.

"The spasms were happening about every five to 10 minutes," Warren said. "I took some of the medicine they had prescribed and it got better. Later, I laid down and took a nap. When I woke up around 2:30 p.m. I started feeling pressure down low."

Warren told Givens it was time to go to North Mississippi Medical Center-West Point, where her obstetrician-gynecologist, Dr. Cherita Brown, was on staff.

Givins was driving there in record time, but Warren did not want to wait. By the time they were on Highway 45 Alternate, he was already trying to deliver.

"I pulled up to the Emergency Room door and started blowing the horn," Givens said. "A security guard came out and I yelled to him that we needed a wheelchair. As the security guard rushed inside to get one, I amended the request. I walked around to her side of the car to check on her and discovered that the baby had come out feet first and everything basically was out except for his head."

Givens said he yelled to the security guard, that they needed more than a wheelchair; they needed help.

According to Givens, staff members came running from the Emergency Department as well as from the Women’s Pavilion.

Maci Card, a registered nurse from the Women’s Pavilion, grabbed a pair of gloves and and proceeded to assist Warren.  

"I guess my adrenaline kicked in," Card said. "I got her on a stretcher and the mom only had to push a couple of times and the rest of the baby came out. The cervix can clamp down on the baby’s head, so it makes it hard for him to breathe. He didn't look good, and his color was terrible."

Card and a respiratory therapist worked on baby DeKarri Givens for several minutes and soon his heart rate, breathing and color improved. It seems he wasn't finished surprising everyone. He made a complete turnaround, Card said.

DeKarri Givens weighed in at 3.2 pounds and was 15.75 inches long. Once he was stable, the Carexpress ambulance transported him to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the NMMC Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. His parents joined him in Tupelo the next day.

Karri continues to grow and get stronger, and neonatologists say he will be discharged from the NICU this week. Meanwhile, his parents have been sending Card updates and photos every few days.

"I have never had an experience like this before, he was my first parking lot delivery and my first footling breach delivery," Card said. "I've told his parents that I want to be invited to all his birthday parties."

Card and many others are amazed at how well Karri is doing in spite of his untimely birth. It’s amazing when you think about how he started out, Card said.

“It was a miracle,” his father said. “He is a blessing.”