West Point blasts Callaway to set up rematch with Grenada

Nate Montgomery (9) celebrates with his offensive linemen after a second quarter touchdown that gave West Point a 42-0 lead.
Staff Writer

The most exciting part of the West Point game against Callaway took place during the pregame warmups, when the two teams were jawing at one another and had to be separated by coaches. From that point forward, it was all business for the Green Wave.

“That’s just competitive nature. Coach Brown is trying to create that competitive culture at Callaway, where they have passion about it, and we’ve got passion about it,” West Point head coach Chris Chambless said. “Every football game is chippy and intense, but when we play its really intense. I’m proud of our guys for the way they handled the situation.”

West Point jumped out to an early 6-0 lead when Marcus Murphy went in for a 1-yard touchdown with 9:21 left in the first quarter. A few minutes later, Chris Calvert found the end zone on a 10-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion was good, putting the Green Wave ahead 14-0.

Terence Cherry blocked a Callaway punt on the next Charger possession, resulting in good field position and a 7-yard scoring run by Calvert with 4:16 left in the first quarter. On the next Callaway drive, Ryan Melton would make an interception and return it 50-yards for a score, giving West Point a 28-0 first quarter lead.

Murphy would score his second touchdown of the game on a 53-yard scamper with 9:50 left in the second quarter. The Green Wave led 35-0 at this point.

Callaway’s next offensive possession resulted in another blocked punt, this time by Kentavious McMillian. The punt block by McMillian set the school record for most kick blocks in a season with 11.

“Every week we work hard on special teams, in all phases. Coach Morgan, I put him in charge of coming up with block schemes each week and he does a great job,” Chambless said. “We work different schemes every week, just trying to make something happen, and we saw an opening.”

West Point would take advantage of the good field position, as Nate Montgomery found the end zone from one yard out to give the Green Wave a 42-0 lead with 7:16 remaining until halftime. West Point would go to the locker room with a 42-0 advantage.

Friday night was the Green Wave’s fourth consecutive game with a running clock in the second half. It is safe to say that West Point likes to strike quickly and often against its opponents.

“One thing we try to do is take care of the game early,” Chambless said. “We want to take care of the game and get all the guys in that we can and get them some experience, but in the playoffs, we want to win.”

After a scoreless third quarter, Brandon Harris would hit pay dirt on a 4-yard touchdown run early in the fourth to stretch the Green Wave lead to 49-0. The final touchdown of the game would come on a 24-yard Jimothy Mays touchdown with 3:33 remaining.

Murphy finished with 100 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries. Calvert added two scores as well, running for 55 yards on 4 carries. JaKenith Thompson led the Chargers with 14 yards on 14 carries. The Green Wave held Callaway to only 45 yards on 24 carries, while amassing 256 yards themselves.

West Point didn’t take to the air often Friday night, as Chambless said his team wanted to establish the run.

“That’s our bread-and-butter. We went to be physical and control the line of scrimmage up front,” Chambless said. “That’s what we try to do every game and we throw it when we need to.”

West Point (12-0) will travel to Grenada (7-6) on Friday night, as the Chargers defeated Germantown 33-9 to earn a rematch with the Green Wave.