The first week of filing qualifying paperwork at West Point City Hall for the 2013 Municipal Election was unusually slow with only eight individuals filing statements of intent as opposed to the busy first qualifying week during the last Municipal Election.
On the first day of the 2013 qualifying period, seven statements of intent to run for municipal offices were received at City Hall, and only one additional name was received the following day. The additional name was that of West Point resident Linda Hannah, who turned in her intent to run on the democratic ticket for Ward 1 selectman. The post of Ward 1 selectman is currently being held by Rod Bobo who has not officially expressed his intent to rerun for the post. Ward 2 Selectman Homer Cannon has also not filed a statement of intent, but the qualifying period to submit these statements to City Hall remain open through March 8.
The following is a list of current city council members and other city residents who intend to run for office during the May 7 Primary Election:
• Mayor Scott Ross – rerunning for mayor - democrat
• Keith McBrayer – rerunning for Ward 4 selectman – democrat
• Jasper Pittman – rerunning for Ward 5 selectman – democrat
• Charles Collins – rerunning for Ward 3 selectman – democrat
• Jimmy Clark – running for Ward 3 selectman – democrat
• William Binder – running for Ward 2 selectman – democrat
• Jimmy Davidson – running for Ward 1 selectman – democrat
• Linda Hannah – running for Ward 1 selectman – democrat
The Municipal Party Executive Committee for West Point is inactive so the city has contracted with the West Point Municipal Election Commission, who consists of Bettye Swift, Darrellene Fulgham and George Bailey, to conduct the Primary Election.