Last Spring, Hebron Christian School was preparing for an 11-man football season.
Now the Eagles will be forced to drop down and play eight-man. With just 11 players on the roster, Hebron made the call last Thursday and informed MAIS officials they were playing 8-man this fall, something they haven't done in years.
Head coach Tri Nason, said enrollment is not an issue.
"We just don't have the manpower, " he said. "We have the guys in school to play, they are just not playing."
Because they had told the MAIS in the Spring they would be playing 11-man and have now dropped down, they're having to reshuffle the entire schedule with all but two teams that have agreed to play them in 8-man. Instead of having an nine game season, they will now have possibly six to seven games in 2011. Those changes made them ineligible for any post season play this year. Their season is almost meaningless.
"It says a lot about our guys this season, the ones who ares till there," Nason said.
Nason enters his first season as head coach after replacing Greg Watkins and inherits an Eagles squad that finished 2-8 last season and winless in their district. He says the team is taking it the changes pretty well.
"The reaction was better than I thought," he said. "They knew that they didn't have the players to do 11-man and when I told them, they felt a little relived about it and actually starting pushing harder. It actually had a positive effect on them which surprised me because I was worried about that."
The Eagles have four seniors on the team, one with any football experience. Nason said the other three "are feeling out the waters" and actually like the idea of playing 8-man on their first and last year of high school football.
The Eagles kickoff the season August 19 against Strider as scheduled and more dates are expected to come in the next few days.View more articles in: