Skip to main content

Investigators Handle Grand Larceny, Shoplifting Cases

June 20, 2011

23-year-old Quinton Hoskins of West Point was taken into custody Saturday by the West Point Police Department after admitting to stealing $3,000 from his grandmother's home on Crowell Street.
Mike Burgess, head of investigations for the WPPD, said 79-year-old Dorothy Goins called police and reported that the money was missing from her home. During the course of the investigation, detectives spoke with Hoskins and asked if he knew anything about the missing $3,000. After his Miranda rights were read to him, Hoskins admitted to officers that he took and spent the entire amount of money.
Goins signed charges against her grandson, who was taken to the Clay County jail on the charge of grand larceny. Hoskins bond is set at $5,000, and his initial Municipal Court appearance is this Tuesday.
WPPD officers also charged and arrested 20-year-old Tevin Hill last week for one count of felony shoplifting, third offense.
Burgess said on June 14, a black male entered Hibbett Sports in West Point and headed over to the section of the store where baseball caps are displayed. A sales clerk encountered this person taking a Los Angeles Lakers baseball cap out of the store without purchasing it. The clerk called police and told officers, once they arrived, that the alleged thief was last seen heading around the north end of the store.
Officers were unable to track down the offender, later identified as Hill, on that day.
The next day, Hill reentered Hibbett Sports, but was not wearing the baseball cap. This time, the Hibbett Sports store manager attended the counter and waited on Hill, whom Burgess said brought a pair of shoes to the counter to be checked out. Not knowing who Hill was at the time, the store manager said Hill told him to hold the shoes at the counter for him so that he could go home and get his money. The manager told Hill that in order for the shoes to be held, he would have to leave his name. Hill gave his name and after leaving the store, the manager immediately called police after recognizing the name of the offender, whom officers were looking for.
When Hill left the store on this day, store workers went to the back of the store to see where Hill was headed and saw Hill put on the Lakers cap he allegedly stole the day before. Officers quickly responded and located Hill near McDonald's. Hill was taken back to Hibbett Sports where he was positively identified by the store clerk as being the person who took the cap without paying for it the day before.
Hill is being held in the Clay County jail awaiting his initial Municipal Court appearance this Tuesday. His bond is set at $25,000.

New England vs. Seattle 2/1 6:30 (ET) University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
BY WILL NATIONS In both teams’ MAIS District 2-AA finale, an extra...
BY WILL NATIONS Any gift six Oak Hill Academy seniors received prior to...



Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes