Skip to main content

Hebron nearly upsets Generals in 59-49 loss

December 12, 2012

It was the fourth overtime for Hebron Christian in this very early season. The Eagles’ Taylor Coggins swished the corner three which sent the game to overtime tied at 47. But the Generals were too much for Hebron as Washington used the Eagles’ critical mistakes to turn the tide and defeat Hebron in overtime 59-49.
“It is a hard loss because it is a game that got away from us,” said Head Coach Gary Vaughn after an agonizing defeat, “We should have claimed that one and done some different things toward the final stretch.”
After a scoreless first three minutes, Hebron used Drew Myatt’s first bucket and three Will Corbin Rogers buckets to rush out to an early 8-0 lead. James Alan Moore and Hayden Carty both added buckets to close out the quarter in the Eagles’ favor 12-2. In the second quarter, the Generals rushed out with an early 7-2 scoring stretch to close the Hebron lead. Washington outplayed and outscored the Eagles 17-8 in the period but was not able to hold a lead over Hebron. The scoreboard read 20-19 in favor of Hebron.
The third quarter of play saw multiple lead changes as the Eagles and Generals battled back and forth for dominance. The pace was blistering and the action was hot, and after falling behind 34-30, Hebron used a 6-0 run to close out the quarter and regain the lead 36-34.
Yet again, Washington used the depth on their bench to tire the Eagles. A 7-4 General –led scoring stretch saw Washington gain their second biggest lead of the game 45-40. Hebron though was resilient and pressed on using a great 2-3 zone to keep Washington at bay. With one minute remaining, Hebron closed the gap to 45-42 with two Rogers’ free-throws. Then the Eagles’ Myatt drew the game closer with a strong move into the paint. As the seconds ticked off the clock, the Eagles were forced to foul and send the Generals to free-throw line making the game 47-44. With time near expiring, Coggins was found open in the corner and drained the tying three-pointer.
As the game was forced to overtime, Hebron seemed to lose some of their edge and could not keep the Generals off the free-throw line dashing the single-A Eagles upset hopes. Washington used 7 free-throws and 2 two-pointers to outscore the Eagles 12-2 in the overtime period and go onto win 59-49.
Leading the scoring column for the Eagles was Rogers with 18 points. Also contributing were Myatt with 9 points, Coggins with 8 points (2 three-pointers), Carty and Moore with 7 points closing out the Hebron scorers.
Hebron now sits with an 8-3 overall record and 2-0 in district. Having played four overtimes, the Eagles are 2-2 in games sent to overtime. Hebron Christian will need to have a short memory as they return to the court Thursday December 13 at Victory Christian of Columbus. The last contest between the Eagles and Victory went Hebron’s favor 59-31.

View more articles in:
The Oak Hill Raiders have one last chance to win a state championship for the first time in the...
Scott Lashley stands out of a crowd with an intimidating 6-foot-7 and 300-pound frame. These...
The Oxford Lady Chargers (22-7) used a strong first-half finish and 11 total 3-pointers,...



Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes