Skip to main content

Green Wave QB in on five first half scores to lead West Point past Center Hill 55-7

October 20, 2012

Every game is critical at this point in the season.
Friday night’s district match between the West Point Green Wave (7-2;5-0) and Center Hill was no exception. Playing their fifth straight out of seven consecutive division games to end the season, West Point was looking to improve on a stomping of Saltillo the week before.
The Green Wave did just that, taking care of the Center Hill Mustangs 55-7.
“We played a good Center Hill team tonight,” said West Point head coach Chris Chambless. “There’s no doubt about that. We played well, but we had a lackluster first and third quarter. We had some chances to put points on the board, and we didn’t. We’re definitely going to have to do a better job of that.”
Delentez Lane did not see much action in the second half. He put a game’s worth of stats in the first two quarters, involving himself on all five first half touchdowns.
It took West Point nearly seven minutes to get on the board, and they only scored once in the first quarter on a 25 yard rushing touchdown by Lane. In the second quarter, however, the Green Wave exploded for four more touchdowns to put the game well out of reach by the start of the third.
That scoring started with 7:05 to play in the first half. Lane was four yards out from the end zone, and he rushed up the middle for the team’s second score. Eric Lemus, who hit all but one extra point on Friday night put the ball through the uprights for a 14-0 lead.
West Point got the ball back very quickly on a fumble at midfield by Center Hill’s offense.
With a two-score cushion, Lane went to the air from 44 yards out, and he connected with Peair Howard for the long score to make it 21-0 with 6:00 to play.
A couple of minutes later, Center Hill was facing a fourth down and one, and the Mustangs decided to go for it. West Point senior Freddie Reed made them pay with a sack in the backfield that turned the ball over on downs to the Green Wave.
With 3:01 left in the half, Lane took the ball on a keeper from 28 yards out for another rushing touchdown to make it 28-0.
Center Hill was desperate to get something going. Trying the pass game proved to be another mistake as Nelson Mcintosh intercepted the ball and brought it back to the four yard line of the Mustangs.
Lane took the next snap and passed a laser to Terence Minor for a touchdown to make it 35-0 going into the break.
Center Hill got their first and only score on their first possession of the second half. With 7:26 to play in the third, the Mustangs crossed the end zone to make it 35-7 after the PAT.
On the next series, West Point drove the ball down to the one yard line, and Roger Thomas, acting as quarterback, kept the ball for a one-yard touchdown to make it 42-7 after Lemus’ kick.
In the fourth quarter, Mcintosh got things going on defense with another interception that set up a rushing touchdown by Demontae Rush to make it 49-7.
After Dvante Randle recovered a fumble on Center Hill’s next possession, Rush took it in from eight yards out for the last score to make it 55-7.
West Point will play its last home game of the season against Oxford next week. The Green Wave will finish the season on the road at New Hope the following week.

View more articles in:
The Oak Hill Raiders have one last chance to win a state championship for the first time in the...
Scott Lashley stands out of a crowd with an intimidating 6-foot-7 and 300-pound frame. These...
The Oxford Lady Chargers (22-7) used a strong first-half finish and 11 total 3-pointers,...



Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes